Friday, March 13, 2015

A subjective truth

Read an article a short time ago and it got me thinking that some 'truths' aren't as evident as and clear as others...The article was about the truths of MS and how the US celebrities afflicted w/ this terrible disease have managed to put a gentle and less horrific face upon it. Its true that Romney may calm her fears about wheelchairs by spending time w/ horses, but that won't stop the fact if it comes to be--this is merely a coping mechanism so she doesn't have to think about where this disease may lead in the future. Same w/ Osborne or Montel, regardless how desperately they campaign for MS fundraising and research. These are all mental coping mechanisms..In a way, I almost feel sorry for people like this. Yes, they have access to all sorts of state of the art med facilities and such, but I don't believe they've accepted the diagnosis and what it may mean for their futures..I don't wish them ill, I just hope when and if the time come that their MS progresses further, they're able to deal with it (mentally)

The article states that people need to understand just how much MS can and will destroy the body...he references a lady who is essentially fully paralyzed, but probably has a perfectly working mind... and that's worst MS can do.

I'd have to claim falsehood--that's not the worst MS can do. Science has so many new advances for motion-assistance, but nothing helps a broken brain. Once the cognition begins to seep out, there's no mechanical device to rebuild the thoughts, words, memories that are briefly glimpsed but sit just out of grasp. out of recall..until days later...and even then it may only be half the thought or even half the word.

I may not have perfect control over my body..MS has definitely messed w/ my balance and gait, but I'd give almost anything to have my mental cognition facilities back. Two worthless degrees, years of schooling I'm still trying to pay back and knowing now I have trouble w/ basic math but then I aced advanced Calc with only setting foot inside the classroom to take the midterm and final... Matt keeps reminding me a lot has changed in my brain since those classes...a lot of damage, scarring, but I still get so p&$$ed cuz the info was/is there so I should be able to see it.

I know everyone's MS is different..some are affected more physically and some more mentally. The one time I spoke w/ a nurse in the ER about it and mentioned the cognitive issues, he was baffled. His mental image of MS was canes and/or wheelchairs. The worst MS can do to someone is not always to rob them of movement. For an athlete - yeah, that might be their worst hell. But I'd personally rather have a set-up like Hawking  (tho I'm obvi no genius) then to go out like most people with Alzheimer's do - forgetting everything and everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment