Thursday, June 20, 2013

tick tock

I can't believe I'm still slowly unpacking.. although it really shouldn't be that much of a surprise. We spent 10 yrs or so (I think..I believe that was the last amount I was told..don't remember) in Columbus and still had some stuff that never saw the light of day. Very little of that came with us, mostly just my baskets cuz those were expensive and it was cuz there was A) no room (not like there's more here) and B) I'm not a good decorator.. but hubby is gonna help here, especially since we left some of he clutter (emphasis on some) back in Columbus and he's gonna help me figure out uses instead of just putting them on shelves to look pretty.

Anyway.. back to the real purpose.. came across the small box containing the remains of the 3 day old abandoned kitten I tried to save. Unfortunately, he  (although it was too young to tell, I think it was a male ^_^) was just too young and had been left out on its own for too long before it was found by someone. It was from when I was working at a vet clinic. The vet heard a slight wheeze and I still took him home and tried to feed it, keep it warm overnight..I had it for two days, but on the second morn...the wheezing was audible and he wasn't really moving much. Shortley after, the baby kitten passed - most likely from being exposed to fairly chilly weather when it was first born. The doc was pretty sure it was a newborn that first day when he was left out. His eyes hadn't even begun to open yet.

One of the nearby funeral parlors provided pet cremations. What I didn't know is that they also save a small chunk of hair and take a paw print.. I received the little wooden box and a small framed paw print smaller that my thumb tip and an envelop w/ a small shaving of his marmalade hair..what struck me the most was the date...
                                                     2006
Seven yrs ago??? I still remember holding him in my hands..I still remember having the box with the red heating lamp beside my bed...I remember the utter devastation of losing that baby kitten....
but I also remember losing my Lassie when I was 16 as if was just yesterday...including attempting to dig into completely frozen ground in Feb while it was sleeting...I don't place myself at the age of 16. I don't place my friend who helped me at 18..

I don't do very well with time that's gone past (whether minutes, days, years)


This turned into more of a macabre post than I meant it it be...sry

No comments:

Post a Comment